Puff-Puff, Mikate, Gbofloto, Beignet… these are only some of the names given to this delicious African snack food. It can be served for breakfast, snack time or even as a dinner party dessert. The recipe has many versions, but here will show you how to make the puff puff with self-raising flour. The ingredients are quite basic, all you need is:
• Self-rising flour,
• Oil to deep fry
The fun part is that you can decide what to add to the mix for extra flavour. Our favourites are the ginger puff-puff and the banana puff-puff, but you can add anything you want – coconut, cinnamon, nutmeg, orange or lemon zest… you name it! Oh... I almost forgot! We don't put any eggs or dairy, so their perfect for vegan too!
Saucepan for deep frying
Ice cream scoop
• 3 cups Self-rising flour,
• 1 ½ cup Sugar
• 1 ½ - Water
• 4 tsp SACO Ginger Flakes
• Frying oil
1. Put SACO Ginger Flakes in a processor and pulse until it looks like fine flour.
2. Add all the ingredients in a bowl then mix.
3. Pour the oil into a deep pot until it is half full and preheat
4. Use an ice cream scoop to scoop up the batter mix and drop it in the hot oil – this will help you create a round shape. Keep a cup of warm water close by to wet the scoop after every 4-5 scoops.
5. Fry for few minutes on one side, then turn on the other side with the help of a skimmer.
6. Once they are golden brown, remove from the oil and place on Kitchen roll.
7. Serve plain or with maple source, chocolate souce, vanilla ice cream... or anything you fancy.